Civil Litigation Lawyer Saskatoon - When a business enterprise experiences financial difficulties, amongst the most vital things you can do is choose the right team to help you navigate the process. bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies could be among the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of skill to be able to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide recommendation and representation, leading to timely, effective, and strategic solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises in businesses like for example automotive, biomedical, airline, communications, construction, entertainment, healthcare, funeral, financial services, insurance, manufacturing, marketing, technology, steel, mining, natural resources, real estate and retail. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive experience with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nevertheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require those involved in cross-border proceedings to be well-informed concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised intermediaries and stakeholders within many of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the required experts could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results that are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the experience of our skilled members across our international firms within the numerous legal fields dealing with business reorganizations. Our office has experts in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, public and private equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides skilled litigators.
For the many stakeholders we represent, our services include the following:
1. We help those financially challenged businesses about the options and alternatives of restructuring, that consists of the directing and creating of formal restructuring proceedings under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. In relation to companies in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of public and private corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, agents to and members operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indenture trustees, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring procedures, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We can help the many secured creditors in the insolvency proceedings, regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights.
6. We advise trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, including receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. We advise equipment leasers and vendors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings and in relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors.
8. We can help the purchasers who are businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency procedures, we assist financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants.
10. In the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases, we give counsel on various litigation issues.
11.We can prosecute and defend in litigating actions and preference actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the obtaining of urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like for example mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf